Vision Statement

I envision literature created by Nepalese writers residing in Australia, whether composed originally in English or translated into English, being prominently published, showcased, and readily accessible in Australian libraries and bookstores, standing alongside the works of mainstream authors. Every effort and action I undertake for literature is dedicated to realizing this vision.

Sunday, May 14, 2023

Bringing Australia-based Nepalese Writers and Literature to the Forefront in Australia: My Vision and Plans

It has been over a month since I made my presence known and frequent on social media platforms such as Facebook and LinkedIn. After a long break of 12 years, I have restarted my blog sharing a few greeting words on Nepali New Year 2080 (BS). In fact, my return to social media is driven by my determination to contribute to the literary community in Australia.


For the past few years, I have been quietly observing and trying to understand the state of Nepalese writers and literature in Australia. I have identified some gaps and missing connections, which I believe most Australia-based Nepalese writers are aware of but have not been able to address due to various reasons. As a conscious member of the Nepalese community and a writer myself, I have felt the need to take action. For common understanding, hereafter, Australia-based Nepalese writers means any writers/authors who share Nepalese origin, culture and language; who have generational connection to Nepal and its history; and have meaningful understanding and respect to Nepalese sentiments.


Leveraging my background in project management, I have started working on my vision and plan to fill in some of these gaps. With some groundwork already laid, I have made a personal commitment to step out of my comfort zone and share my vision and plan with others. I now feel ready to share this online as well. My intention is not to seek attention but rather to keep myself accountable, motivated, and to eventually see tangible results from my efforts. In this post, I would like to briefly outline my vision and some strategic plans.

Vision:

My vision is to have English books written by Australia-based Nepalese writers be published, displayed, and available in Australian libraries and bookstores, just like the works of mainstream Australian and English writers. 

Some initial strategies to achieve this vision over a period of 5 years include:

  • Networking and rapport building with writers from Nepalese origin, Australian mainstream writers, writers from CALD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) communities, and service providers such as libraries and writers' associations/groups.

  • Conducting research, developing databases, and sharing information related to Nepalese writers and literature in Australia.

  • Creating opportunities for Australia-based Nepalese writers, such as mentoring, training, workshops, interactions with Australian/English writers, and avenues for publication.

  • Establishing mentoring programs and fellowship opportunities for youth and the younger generation.

I am aware that it may seem impractical for a single individual to undertake these initiatives in the long run. However, I am confident that there are other writers who share a similar vision or interest. I welcome them to contribute and share their visions in whatever way possible. Together, we can work towards realizing our collective goals.

Moving forward, I will regularly post a report on my activities aligning with the vision and share my learnings during the third week of every month.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nepali Writer and Literature in Australia- My Vision, Plan and Action: Journal 12

  16 March- 15 April: Personal Journal 12 Time passed in the blink of an eye. It's unbelievable that I am compiling this 12th edition of...