Vision Statement

I envision literature created by Nepalese writers residing in Australia, whether composed originally in English or translated into English, being prominently published, showcased, and readily accessible in Australian libraries and bookstores, standing alongside the works of mainstream authors. Every effort and action I undertake for literature is dedicated to realizing this vision.

Saturday, February 24, 2024

Nepali Writer and Literature in Australia- My Vision, Plan and Action: Journal 10

15 January 2024 - 14 February: Personal Journal 10


Welcome to my tenth monthly journal, where I share my endeavors in promoting Nepali literature and writers (AB), in alignment with my vision. I invite you to join me on this journey and contribute your valuable insights to enrich our collective learning and initiatives.


Danda Pariko Bhoot - Monday, 22 January 2024


In my previous journal, I shared that during my visit to Nepal in July 2023, Kathalaya (a publication house in Nepal) had offered me an opportunity to support a group of writers involved in a project to create awareness on the conservation of endangered animals in Nepal. For the past few months, I have worked as a content editor for a picture book that arose from the project. With some given limitations, I have finally completed the editing work. I must admit that I felt a sense of return to my original form after years, and I thoroughly enjoyed working with Suniti ji and Saman. Thanks to new technology and online platforms that made this possible. My best wishes to the author Kumar Paudel for the picture book, 'Danda Pariko Bhoot'. I am equally excited to see the book in my hand. I will post the cover of the book when it is officially released.


Highlighting Nepali Authors in Australia - Wednesday, 24 January 2024


Continuing my initiative to showcase Nepali heritage writers and their literature in Australia, this month I introduced the book "Parissicano: Ek Alaukik Gatha" (English Translation: "Parissicano: A Phenomenal Ballad") by Niru Tripathi, a Nepali author and writer based in Melbourne. 

Thanks to Nepal Live Today for providing space and continuous support. Please check the link below for the book introduction and remember to share the link on your FB and kindly leave a few words in the comments box to support everyone involved in the process.

Aroma of Parissicano: A Dream of Love and Liberation - Nepal Live Today Nepal Live Today


Meeting with Pratigya Adhikari - Friday, 26 January 2024


Pratigya Adhikari is an active Nepali community member in Sydney. She likes to post meaningful social messages, especially on mental health, domestic violence, women's health, and other social issues on her social media. A few weeks ago, she gave me her manuscript to read, expecting some feedback. From her Facebook, I was already informed that she was planning to publish a book of short essays collected from her FB posts. I took it quietly as she gave me the manuscript during one of the literary programs in Sydney. At home, I casually read it but ended up appreciating the worth of her writing, especially targeting Nepali readers in Australia.

On a warm day at a coffee shop in WestPoint, Blacktown, I gave her some critical feedback and suggestions. I hope she has taken it constructively and will reflect some of the feedback in her publication. It was my pleasure to meet a writer like her who has been reciting poems at numerous events and posting countless essays and personal thoughts on her FB page to raise awareness among the Nepali community but unfortunately hasn't published a book yet. 

Thanks to journalist Manarishi Dhital and Harihar ji for compiling her articles and printing some copies like a book and presenting ‘Anupam Upahar’ during her visit to Nepal a year ago. I believe your intention to motivate and inspire her to write and publish a book will come true soon.


NAV's Australia Day Speech Contest: Fostering Harmony and Unity - Friday, 26 January 2024

On the occasion of Australia Day, the Nepalese Association of Victoria (NAV) hosted a captivating Speech Contest, bringing together young minds from our Nepali community in Victoria. The contest was participated in by 11 talented children who shared their perspectives via Zoom. 


In the contest, I served as a member of the judging panel, along with Dr. Raju Adhikari and Ms. Niru Tripathi. I would like to thank NAV for making me a part of this memorable event. The event provided an opportunity for all of us to reflect, respect, and celebrate our shared journey, fostering understanding, acceptance, and unity within multicultural Australia. The program was chaired by the President of the Nepalese Association of Victoria, Mr. Prem Raj Upreti, and hosted by Mr. Alok Paudel. 

I would like to congratulate all the winners of the contest. In the age group of 6-10 years, Sarthak Chalise, Sambhav Paudel, and Prisha Chalise, and in the 11-13 years category, Girisma Rayamajhi, Sarah Kharel, and Ayaan Rijal, won the contest for their exceptional speeches. 


For more information, please visit: https://connectnepali.com/news/29056.html


INLS 7th AGM and Book Launch - Saturday, 3 February 2024




International Nepali Literary Society (INLS) Australia- Sydney AGM program on Saturday was highlighted by a book launch - a collection of poems by Mamata Tiwari, cultural performance, poem recitation and welcoming new board members. 

At the event, I was nominated as a member of the advisory committee of the INLS Australia - NSW Chapter. I would like to  thank the new board for  entrusting such a valuable responsibility. My best wishes to the new committee (2024-2026) of the following members and advisors:



INLS Board:

  1. Prakash Paudyal (President)
  2. Chaturbhuj Kharel (Vice President)
  3. Bhabana Parajuli (General Secretary)
  4. Asmit Regmi (Secretary)
  5. Swata Mainali (Treasurer)
  6. Mukti Ram Pokharel (Public Officer)
  7. Dr. Madhu Pudasaini (Member)
  8. Dr. Raju Manandhar (Member)
  9. E. Binod Maharjan (Member)
  10. Mahima Dip Phulel (Member)
  11. Sita Kandel (Member)


Advisory Committee:

  1. Om Dhungel
  2. Saurav Kiran Shrestha
  3. Ram Koirala
  4. Dr. Jib Natha Lamsal
  5. Surendra Dawadi
  6. Sandesh Rajbhandari


Patron:

  1. Acharya Rajan Sharma
  2. Mahendra Paudyal
  3. Sanu Ghimire
  4. Maheshar Sharma
  5. Mamta Tiwari

The second highlighted event on the program was the book launch of outgoing INLS President, Mamata Tiwari. Here, I would also like to acknowledge her wonderful contribution to Nepali literature in Australia, along with her new publication, "Samayako Chhal." Pragya Paneru provided a brief review of the book, while Sanu Ghimire conducted an insightful conversation with the poet, Mamata Tiwari.

Hearty congratulations to the incoming president, Prakash Paudel, and the new team. It was an honor to be selected as an Advisory Committee member, and I look forward to working together in promoting Nepali language, literature, and culture.


Meeting with Author Mamata Panta - Saturday, 10 February 2024

I had the pleasure of meeting Mamata Mishra, a Sydney-based writer on Saturday morning in Parramatta. After several attempts to coordinate our schedules, we finally connected for a delightful coffee chat. During our meeting, we exchanged stories about our literary journeys and aspirations. As usual, I shared my vision and plan for promoting Nepali writers and literature in Australia, particularly among the Australian Nepali community. We also explored ideas for providing mentorship to emerging writers and discussed ways in which established authors could support this initiative.

Mamata shared some of the challenges she encountered while writing and publishing her debut novel, "A New Dawn," in English. I commended her daughter Ojesvi, who accompanied her to the meeting, for her unwavering support throughout her mother's literary endeavors.

In a gesture of solidarity, Mamata generously provided me with copies of her debut novel to support our book donation initiative. These books, along with others collected over the past few months, will soon be donated to three libraries in Sydney. I was also delighted to learn that Mamata is currently working on her second novel, and I extend my best wishes to her for its success.

In this monthly journal, I am thrilled to share the highlights of my recent encounters and initiatives. From collaborating with Kathalaya on content editing to introducing a novel by Niru Tripathi, each endeavor has been a step forward in my mission. Meeting passionate writers like Pratigya Adhikari and Mamata Mishra was truly inspiring, igniting further enthusiasm for our cause. Being a part of the NAV's Speech Contest Judging Panel and receiving recognition from the INLS Sydney chapter as an advisory committee member were both humbling experiences. Moreover, witnessing the book launch of outgoing INLS Sydney President, Mamata Tiwari, at the AGM events was a moment of pride. 

Overall, this month has been exceptionally productive and motivating, reaffirming my commitment to the journey I embarked on several months ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nepali Writer and Literature in Australia- My Vision, Plan and Action: Journal 12

  16 March- 15 April: Personal Journal 12 Time passed in the blink of an eye. It's unbelievable that I am compiling this 12th edition of...