Vision Statement

I envision literature created by Nepalese writers residing in Australia, whether composed originally in English or translated into English, being prominently published, showcased, and readily accessible in Australian libraries and bookstores, standing alongside the works of mainstream authors. Every effort and action I undertake for literature is dedicated to realizing this vision.

Friday, April 26, 2024

Nepali Writer and Literature in Australia- My Vision, Plan and Action: Journal 12

 16 March- 15 April: Personal Journal 12

Time passed in the blink of an eye. It's unbelievable that I am compiling this 12th edition of my monthly journal. The year (2080 BS) has been a Great Year of exploration and learning for me. Throughout the year, I have invested a great deal of time, energy, and skills to showcase and promote Nepali literature and writers (AB), aligning with my five-year vision and plan. Obviously, I will analyze and reflect on my actions and learning over the year in another report/blog, separately.

This time, please welcome a regular monthly journal. As usual, I extend a warm invitation to join me on this journey, contributing your invaluable insights to enrich our collective learning and initiatives.

Western Sydney KidLit (WSKL) Writing and Critique Group- Saturday, 23 March 2024



I attended the Western Sydney KidLit (WSKL) Writing and Critique Group at Seven Hills. I learned that this group has been active for a few years, started by some motivated writers for children. The main objective of the group was to meet monthly and provide critical feedback on the submitted stories and moral support to fellow writers. On that day, I enjoyed engaging in group conversations, sharing experiences, reading stories, and providing feedback. It was a pleasure to meet authors and writers Jo, Carolyn, Zoe, Tommy, Dannielle, and Artelle. Thanks to Artelle Lenthall for inviting me to and hosting the meeting. 

Multicultural Authors Workshop- Monday, 25 March 2024

Blacktown City Libraries had successfully organized two sessions of the Multicultural Authors Workshop over the two weeks in March. The workshop was facilitated by Michael and Ally Burnham from WestWords. Thanks to Joelmon for managing and hosting the highly needed workshops for diverse communities in Blacktown.

The workshop session included experience sharing from published authors from multicultural backgrounds followed by topic discussions like motivation for writing, transitioning from multiculturalism to inter-culturism, the potential applications of AI in translation in the near future, and the comparison between self-publication and traditional publication.

During the closing session, participants showed a growing need for a multicultural writer's group in Blacktown, supported by the library and organizations like WestWords. Additionally, there was a call for immediate workshops focusing on translation and sessions on the heoretical/philosophical concepts of Australian literature. I am optimistic that Blacktown City Libraries will lead some positive initiatives soon to engage multicultural authors and writers in Blacktown and Western Sydney.

Highlighting Nepali Authors in Australia- Friday, 29 March 2024

Continuing my initiative to showcase Nepali heritage writers and their literature in Australia, this month I introduced the three children's picture books Bendy-Bendy Road, Forgetful Freddie, and One Last Time written by Melbourne-based Nepali author Manisha J Poudyal Passion Unleashed: Three picture books of imagination, humor, and hope by an IT architect-turned author.


Thanks to Nepal Live Today for providing space and continuous support. Please check the link below for the book introduction and remember to share the link on your FB and kindly leave a few words in the comments box to support everyone involved in the process. Passion Unleashed: Three picture books of imagination, humor, and hope by an IT architect-turned author « Nepal Live Today Book Signing at Dymocks- Saturday, 6 April 2024

I attended a book signing event of one of my friends, Author Zoe Alicia Gaetjens, on her debut book, "Little Angler" (a lift-the-flap book).  


                 

I was excited to get a signed copy from her at Dymocks, Rouse Hill. The book was illustrated by Heidi McKinnon and published by Affirm Press.

WestWords Alumni Group- Monday 8, April 2024

Since May 2024, I have been taking the role of facilitator of WestWords Alumni Group 2024. This month, I facilitated an inspirational group of authors for the second time. Three writers shared their articles for critical feedback. It was a great learning experience for me.



I wish Australia-based Nepali writers should run similar group sessions regularly for critique feedback on their writing and develop a culture of discussion on both Nepali and Australian literature.

WestWords Academy 2024: Meet and Greet- Sunday, 14 April 2024

I attended the WestWords Academy 2024 event to welcome a new batch of writers to the Academy. It was a pleasure to meet and greet both new and emerging writers, WestWords Alumni, and academics. I would also like to congratulate Sanu Ghimire Jyotsana for participating in the program representing the Nepali writers' community.

The WestWords Academy is a year-long training program designed for emerging writers and multidisciplinary artists. It provides support and mentorship to help these artists hone their craft, develop creative projects, seek opportunities, and organize arts events. Throughout the year, WestWords organizes seminars and workshops led by expert facilitators. A heartfelt thanks to WestWords, the center for writing.


This month has been another amazing one for me. I've started to see some positive outcomes from my efforts over the last 11 months, which I will discuss in a separate post or blog. I attended the Western Sydney KidLit (WSKL) Writing and Critique Group, where I had a fantastic time engaging with fellow writers and providing feedback on their stories. Additionally, I participated in the Multicultural Authors Workshop organized by Blacktown City Libraries, where we discussed various topics related to writing and multiculturalism. The workshop highlighted the need for more support for multicultural writers in the community.

Furthermore, I continued my efforts to showcase Nepali authors in Australia by introducing three children's picture books by Melbourne-based author Manisha J Poudyal via online platforms like Nepal Live Today. I also had the pleasure of attending a book signing event for my friend Zoe Alicia Gaetjens' debut book, "Little Angler," and facilitating the WestWords Alumni Group, where we provided critical feedback on each other's work. Lastly, I welcomed new writers to the WestWords Academy 2024, a program designed to support emerging writers and artists throughout the year. Overall, it's been a fulfilling month of connecting with fellow writers, supporting multicultural literature, and continuing to promote Nepali authors in Australia. I'm grateful for these experiences and look forward to what the future holds in the Nepali New Year 2081.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nepali Writer and Literature in Australia- My Vision, Plan and Action: Journal 12

  16 March- 15 April: Personal Journal 12 Time passed in the blink of an eye. It's unbelievable that I am compiling this 12th edition of...